Type Here to Get Search Results !

Critical DMs: Vince Vaughn of popcorn, Chicago Mix

 Critical DMs: Vince Vaughn of popcorn, Chicago Mix



Members of the MPR News arts team have gently edited Slack chats about Minnesotan art and culture called Critical DMs.


This week, Candyland's Chicago Mix popcorn is the topic of discussion between arts writer and reviewer Jacob Aloi and arts editor Max Sparber.

Max Sparber: Okay, enjoy your popcorn.

Jacob Aloi: I'm in Chicago right now, but I couldn't find Chicago Mix. However, I believe that's sparber: The origin of the idea is unclear because mixed popcorn has been around for a very long time. However, you're right: The moniker originated in Minnesota. In particular, Candyland in Stillwater, Minneapolis, and St. Paul.

Chicago-based Garrett Popcorn named their blend Chicago Mix, and Candyland filed a lawsuit.

Aloi The name "Chicago Mix" sounds more appealing to say than "Twin Cities Mix." Apologies, MSP metro area.
  

Sparber: Candyland believed that when they gave it that name. Chicago Mix has the appealing consistency of popcorn.

Let's explain it.

Aloi: A combination of cheese, caramel, and what appears to be "seasoned" popcorn, Candyland's Chicago Mix is a popcorn variety.

Sparber: The seasoning is just salt and popcorn oil, so don't worry about any spice-phobic Midwesterners freaking out about the cheese—it's cheddar powder.

This is not the mixed popcorn I've had where they season it with hot peppers.

Aloi Yes, salt is a seasoning—excellent advertising!

Sparber: I'm not lying!
 

 

Aloi: I like that the combination has a nice balance of sweet and savory flavors, with a little extra sodium from the "seasoned" popcorn.

Sparber: In my house, it's a must-have. Our dog begs us to give him as much as possible, and I and my girlfriend consume a lot of it together.

  

Aloi Is it available year-round? Before I started working at MPR, where it's the preferred meeting snack, I always thought of it as something that goes best with winter.

Sparber: Every time I go by Candyland, I get it. That happens frequently because our St. Paul office is located a few blocks from a Candyland, and I live close to downtown Minneapolis.

I also purchase the imitations of Chicago Mix that are sold in supermarkets. which have advantages, but the majority lack seasoned popcorn, making the contrast between sweet and savory apparent.

Aloi: You definitely need the standard stuff to balance out the stronger flavors, in my opinion.

Sparber: I concur. The version from Candyland feels a lot like the classic version from Minnesota, despite its moniker.

Hide your Minnesotan identity, in my opinion, has a very Minnesotan quality. Much like when Prince said to Matt Damon that he was a man inside his own heart.Okay, so it's not actually from Chicago, is it?
Aloi The Prince of snack snacks is Chicago Mix.



Sparber: I think the slogan is excellent.

Aloi: Chicago Mix used to be the name of this snack dish.

Sparber: Chicago Mix: Matt Damon, it's inside your own heart.

It really reminds me more of Vince Vaughn. Although he was reared in Chicago, he maintains that he is a native of Minneapolis.

Aloi Whatever the case may be, I believe Candyland is deserving of the title of ultimate Chicago Mix supplier.

Sparber: It's the law!

I find it strange that while everyone went crazy for the Jucy Lucy a few years ago, Chicago Mix doesn't seem to have the same kind of local culinary cache.

  

Aloi: Identifying names. Its ambiguous title prevents it from being a hometown hero while also making it extremely marketable.

Sparber: Well, I suppose none of us would be discussing it if the Jucy Lucy had dubbed itself the Santa Fe Lucy.

Chicago Mix takes away and Chicago Mix gives.
  

Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Ads Area