Type Here to Get Search Results !

What is the story behind the resignation of Italian boxer Angela Carini from her fight against Imane Khelif?

 

What is the story behind the resignation of Italian boxer Angela Carini from her fight against Imane Khelif?




PARIS: Angela Carini, an Italian boxer, arrived at the Paris Olympics with the goal of winning a medal in memory of her late coach and father, who passed away soon after her participation in the Tokyo Games three years prior.



However, Carini's performance in Paris on Thursday lasted only 46 seconds as she pulled out of her fight against Imane Khelif of Algeria, leaving a stain of blood on her trunks.

Carini claimed that she wasn't making a political statement over Khelif, who was eliminated from the world championships the previous year due to a non-specific gender eligibility rule, but the action reignited discussion regarding Khelif's status.

Angela Carini: who is she?
The 25-year-old Carini fights in the welterweight division, which is 66 kg (145.5 lbs). In 2019, she took home silver medals from the global and European championships.

Additionally, she won a gold medal at the European Youth Championships. She was defeated in her Tokyo debut fight.



Giuseppe, Carini's father, gave her the nickname "tiger."

What is her history?
Before turning to boxing, Carini was an Italian clay pigeon shooting champion. She changed to follow her brother, who gave up shooting to pursue boxing.

"I learned boxing from my father and brother," Carini remarked. "To them, I owe everything."

What transpired during her battle with Khelif?
After exchanging a few sharp blows, Carini decided to end the fight, which is incredibly uncommon in Olympic boxing. The referee raised Khelif's hand professionally, but Carini did not shake it. She fell to her knees in the ring and started crying.

Her actions spurred a debate about whether Khelif should have been let to fight after failing the now-banned International Boxing Association's gender eligibility standard, which went well beyond Paris. At a meeting in Paris on Friday, Italian Premier Giorgia Meloni and IOC President Thomas Bach spoke about the matter.



Khelf's permission to compete this week has been upheld by the IOC on several occasions.

"They've confirmed that (Khelif) is within these parameters, despite our requests to have certainties and guarantees, both for our athlete's safety and for the regularity of the competition," said Giovanni Malagò, president of the Italian Olympic Committee.

What made her give up?
Later, a still-crying Carini said that her nose bled after she quit due to the pain from Khelif's opening blows.

Gazzetta dello Sport, an Italian sports daily, reported that Carini claimed, "My face and nose were hurting." "My breathing became labored. I went to my corner to retire after thinking about my family and seeing my brother in the stands. Never before have I felt a blow this strong.”



Carini clarified that it wasn't a planned action.

"I'm depressed by all of this controversy," Carini remarked. "I also apologize to my opponent. I respect the IOC's decision if it states that she may fight.

After the fight, Carini expressed regret for not shaking Khelif's hand.

Carini stated, "It wasn't something I intended to do." "I want to apologize to her and to everyone else, actually. I was furious because I had failed miserably at the Olympics. I have no personal grudges against Khelif. Actually, I would give her an embrace if we crossed paths again.



Extra Time Must-Reads
The Emergence of a Novel Type of Parenting Expert
The Top 50 Romance Books Available for Reading Now
Mark Kelly and the Chronicles of Astronauts Entering Politics
Iran's Regime is being challenged by its youth
How Can Food Really Change Your Hormones? How Can a Busy Adult Be More Spontaneous?
Column: The Reasons I Cry When I Watch Simone Biles
Receive Our Newsletter about the Paris Olympics in Your Inbox

 

Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Ads Area